More than 80 years of history
Metsäliitto Cooperative, the parent company of Metsä Group, has its roots deep in the cooperative movement, which reached Finland in the early twentieth century. Forest owners decided to join forces to establish a stronger position in timber trade negotiations. The operations started with shared sales, and in 1934 Metsäliitto Oy was established to broaden this with timber exports. The company has been a cooperative since 1947. It established its first sawmills in 1949 and expanded its operations into the chemical forest industry in the 1950s.
The Finnish forest industry grew rapidly and became increasingly international from the 1960s onwards. It developed into one of the cornerstones of well-being and prosperity in Finland. Metsäliitto Cooperative expanded its operations as well. Important milestones included the formation of Metsä-Serla in 1986 and the growth and development of the pulp industry within Metsä-Botnia Oy. In the 1990s, a decade of rapid growth, Metsäliitto invested strongly in both the Finnish and international markets.
By the early 2000s, Metsäliitto Group had become an international forest group with more than 25,000 employees in dozens of countries. A systematic structural change was implemented between 2005 and 2012, with Metsäliitto Group changing its name to Metsä Group and renewing its corporate identity. The change represented the final stage in a profound restructuring to create a unified and competitive forest industry group. Its operations continue to be founded on the principles of cooperation and working for the best of Finnish forest owners.
This is a good beginning.