Nationally, we are an important producer of export products and renewable energy. The value of exports from our mills in Finland is nearly 5% of all Finnish exports, and we produce a significant share of Finland’s renewable energy.
Our main raw material is wood of known origin from sustainably managed Nordic forests. We use raw materials resource-efficiently – every part of the wood is used for products with the highest value. Our goal is to increase the number of carbon-storing wood products with a long service life because they help mitigate climate change. Our products respond to global trends and decrease dependence on fossil fuels.
We are also a significant provider of both direct and indirect employment. Metsä Fibre directly employs approximately 1,600 professionals. In addition, according to the Finnish Forest Industries Federation, every job in the Finnish forest industry indirectly creates three other jobs.
Metsä Group also has an impact on its surrounding society through taxes. Considering all the taxes and tax-like charges resulting directly or indirectly from Metsä Group’s operations, the company’s economic impact on society is significant. In addition, Metsä Group has made major investments in the sustainable bioeconomy. Since 2015, the value of our implemented, ongoing and planned investment has been nearly EUR 7 billion. A significant part of this investment has been made in Finland.
Metsä Group is committed to observing international transfer pricing guidelines and local tax laws and regulations in all the countries in which it operates. Most of Metsä Group’s production and other operations are in Finland, which means that most of the taxes are also paid in Finland.
Metsä Group cooperates with the tax authorities, and its operations in terms of taxation are transparent. The company has its own tax function, and taxes are covered by the regular monitoring of the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
Measures towards 2030
- We use the wood we procure for the purpose it is best suited for and convert it efficiently.
- We procure our raw materials from sustainable sources and trace their origin through measures such as supplier surveys.
- By increasing the amount of certified wood in our wood supply, we support matters such as forest workers’ working conditions and ensure that the rights of indigenous people are not violated in our forest use areas.
- We carry out procurement through suppliers that are proven to be responsible. We support societal shifts towards more sustainable practices.
Indicators by the end of 2030
- 100% traceable raw materials
- >90% share of certified wood
- All suppliers: 100% commitment to the Code of Conduct
- Key suppliers: 100% coverage of supplier surveys and audits