In September of 2015, a total of 193 UN member states committed to promoting 17 shared goals aimed at ending poverty, protecting the planet and ensuring prosperity for all.
Responsibility for the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) lies with the UN member states – that is, governments, companies, municipalities, educational institutions and everyone as an individual. In Finland, the Finnish National Commission on Sustainable Development is responsible for the integration of the SDGs into national policies. The commission is chaired by the Prime Minister.
Due to its extensive impact, the business sector bears significant responsibility and also has effective ways to promote achieving the SDGs. Through its operations, Metsä Group is committed to promoting the achievement of these goals. As it is not possible or sensible for an individual company to do everything, we have selected the goals that we can have the most impact on and focus on them.
Sustainability at Metsä Group is based on four themes covering all our operations, as well as eight goals that guide our everyday work. These are linked to the SDGs.
GOAL 6: Clean water and sanitation
- We are improving the efficiency of process water use and reducing emissions to water.
- Finland is a country with one of the world’s most abundant water resources, and more than 99% of the water we use is surface water. Forests are vital to the water cycle.
- We are promoting hand hygiene which enables preventing transmission of infections.
GOAL 7: Affordable and clean energy
- We are a significant producer and user of renewable energy. We produce over 15% of renewable energy in Finland.
- We are continuously improving the energy efficiency of our processes.
GOAL 8: Decent work and economic growth
- We provide jobs for 9,300 people.
- Our indirect employment impact is up to three times larger, creating regional well-being and vitality in particular.
- We enable economic growth through improved resource efficiency.
- We pay special attention to safety at work in our own operations as well as our subcontractors’ operations.
- Our employees regularly attend training related to our Code of Conduct.
- In terms of social responsibility, our efforts focus on promoting well-being and creating favourable conditions for a good life among children and young people in particular.
GOAL 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- We continue to improve our resource efficiency and are investing in new, sustainable industrial concepts and technologies as well as in renewable energy.
- We are building partnerships within industrial ecosystems and making more extensive use of side streams in cooperation with small and industrial partners.
- We are actively participating in research, development and innovation networks.
GOAL 12: Responsible consumption and production
- We are using renewable raw materials to manufacture products that reduce dependence on fossil resources.
- We always know the origin of the wood we use.
- Our products are made from renewable wood originating from sustainably managed forests.
- We are promoting the circular economy, and more than 90% of our production side streams are used for materials or energy.
- We are building industrial ecosystems around our production facilities to support the circular economy and the efficient use of production side streams.
GOAL 13: Climate action
- We are continuously seeking to reduce our fossil carbon dioxide emissions by improving our energy efficiency and increasing the share of renewable energy used in our production.
- Most of the energy we use is renewable (80% in 2018).
- We are committed to the Finnish Energy Efficiency Agreement (2017–2025).
GOAL 15: Life on land
- Sustainable use and management of forests are of primary importance to us.
- We ensure biodiversity through sustainable forest management and certification.
- We actively promote forest certification.
- We integrate ecosystem and biodiversity values into national and local plans and operations.